Friday, June 18, 2010

Daniel Week 2 - Day 2

Week 2 - A Dream and a Kingdom

Day 2 - Urgent Tact, Urgent Prayer

Tact
In the NIV, verse 14 says that Daniel used wisdom and tact.  The translation of the word for tact also means "to taste, to form an opinion of something based on its flavor".  Daniel responded to Arioch in such a way that it saved his neck - literally.  The executioner allowed him to request more time from the king. 

I am beginning to think that God has answered my prayers for moments related to this study that I can share with all of you.  The question in the homework was "When was the last time you wanted to respond to someone with rudeness?"  Well, how about yesterday!  I was in Costco and of course we have to stop and get the samples!  Love that about Costco!!  I am not sure why one lady decided to put her hand up in my face and shush me but it caused my blood to boil instantly!  Her rudeness nearly caused me to lose my temper completely and normally I think I would have, but instead I put down the sample and walked away.  I
don't know if it was tactful or not, but with God obviously guiding me, I managed to not lose my temper in the face of bad customer service.


Prayer Partners
The homework talked about having prayer partners.  It is interesting to me that the Experiencing God study I just worked on talked about the importance of people within the church building each other up.  Now I am seeing it in this study too! 

1Thessalonians 5:11 So encourage each other and build each other up

Isn't that exactly what a prayer partner is and should be?   A prayer partner should be someone that walks along side you in your spiritual walk just as you walk along side them.  You may be in two completely different stages of spiritual maturity, but you can still support each other and build each other up.  A prayer partner should also be someone you meet with regularly to pray with and to discuss your spiritual walk, perhaps how a bible study is going or decisions that you are faced with.

If you do not have a prayer partner, ask God to find someone for you.  I love how Beth Moore put it... "Someone out there needs you for a prayer partner...You are the answer to someone else's prayer."

If you are blessed to find a prayer partner, then what happens next?  Here are some thoughts...
  1. agree to meet regularly, it could be weekly, twice a month, monthly as long as it is regularly. Make it a serious committment and do it!
  2. get to know each other, share things about yourself, your family, your life, and your spiritual journey
  3. when you meet go over praise reports and prayer requests.  Commit to praying for each other daily.
  4. work on building each other up.  Ask spiritually appropriate questions such as
    • Have you been reading the Bible regularly?
    • Have you been praying daily?
    • Have you been honoring your spouse/parents? Sisters/Brothers?
    • Did you attend church this week?
    • Have you been giving God your tithe and offering?
    • Is there unconfessed sin in your life?
    • What are you wrestling with in your thought life?
    • Are you obeying the Word of God?
    • How has God blessed you this week?
    • Do you sense that God is at work in your life?
    • What have you done to help someone this week?

  5. And of course, avoid the temptation for your prayer meetings to turn into gossip sessions!!!!

No comments: