Monday, June 28, 2010

Daniel Week 3 - Day 3

Daniel Week 3 - No Smell of Smoke

Day 3 - The Apple of His Eye

Today's homework made reference to a verse that uses the phrase "apple of His eye".  Of courese, we have all heard this phrase and it is quite common but how well do we know it in reference to God?  So I thought I would explore it...

What do you think about when you hear the phrase "apple of my eye"?   Generally I think about how I feel about my kids - in terms of a great affection, cherished, precious.   But how does the Bible use it? 

Here are the verses where I found the phrase in the NIV.  I have added the end of Deut 32:10 from the NLT to better show how it is used.

Deuteronomy 32:10 In a desert land he found him, in a barren and howling waste. He shielded him and cared for him; he guarded him as the apple of his eye,
NLT he guarded them as his most precious possession.



Psalm 17:8 Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings


Proverbs 7:2 Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye.


Zechariah 2:8 For this is what the Lord Almighty says: "After he has honored me and has sent me against the nations that have plundered you--for whoever touches you touches the apple of his eye--

These verses are not showing the kind of affection that we have come to view the meaning of "apple of my eye".  Instead it is a term of guarding - a fierce protection!  But can it be both?  I think it can!

Right now we have a stray mother cat and her kittens that have adopted our deck as their home.  The mother cat we call Patches, is perfectly tame and will even seek out our attention any chance she gets.  Her kittens on the other hand are perfectly wild and I can not get near them.  Patches has no concern at all about me trying to be near her kittens, but watch out if one of the dogs tries to get close!  She fiercely protects and guards them against any threat, but allows what she knows as loving affection. 

God fiercely protects and guards us as well as showing us loving affection.

No comments: