Thursday, June 3, 2010

Experiencing God - Unit 4

Unit 4 - Love and God's Invitation

John 14:21 Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him. 

Because we love Jesus we want to obey His commandments, and the more we obey the closer we come to God.  The closer we come the better we can see Him when he reveals Himself to us.


Day 1 - Know God

In the workbook there is a list of over 300 names, titles, and descriptions for God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.  Below are just a few of those names, titles, and descriptions.  In what ways have you experienced God?  Has he been any of these to you?  As we experience God we come to know Him better!!

my salvation (Ex. 15:2)
my friend (Job 16:20)

Comforter in Sorrow (Jer. 8:18)
a sure foundation (Isa. 28:16)
our guide (Ps. 48:14)
my confidence (Ps.71:5)
my hiding place (Ps. 32:7)
my hope (Ps. 71:5)
bread of life (John 6:35)

light of life (John 8:12)
the good shepherd (John 10:11)
good teacher (Mark 10:17)


Day 2 - Worship God

Have you ever struggled with how to worship God?  It can be as simple as looking to the Word, look for scriptures that praise His name.  Praising his name is worship. The names of God direct you to understand who He is and what He does. 

The workbook gave a long list of scriptures that describe ways you can direct your worship toward God through His names. Listed below are a few of them. 

Sing unto the Lord, bless his name (Ps. 96:2)

Glory in His holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice (Ps. 105:3)

I will praise you forever for what you have done; in your name I will hope, for your name is good (Ps. 52:9)

Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name (Ps. 63:4)

But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy.  Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you (Ps. 5:11)


Day 3 - Love God

John 14:21 Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.


There is a progression shown here: know, love, believe, trust, obey

You come to know God and in turn love Him.  As your love deepens you believe in Him and trust Him.  As a result you happily obey Him.  The reward for our obedience is that He reveals Himself to us.


Day 4 - God Invites You to Join Him

John 5:17 But Jesus replied, "My Father never stops working, so why should I?"

God is at work trying to bring the lost to Himself.  As He reveals Himself to us it is our invitation to join Him in this work.  He will show us where He is at work and how we can join Him.  This is His revelation to us.


Day 5 - Knowing Where God is at Work

Often we ask God to bless us, but this is backwards.  We should not look for how God is going to bless us, instead we should look for how God is revealing where He is at work.  We will be blessed as we join Him in His work.  We are to pray and watch to see what happens, it may be God speaking to us, revealing His plan to us.

No comments: