Friday, July 2, 2010

Daniel Week 4 - Day 2

The Lap of Luxury

Today we take another look at this verse.

Daniel 4:4 I, Nebuchadnezzar, was at home in my palace, contented and prosperous.

Contented and prosperous.  What do think of when you think of contented and prosperous? Is it happiness, satisfaction, wealth?

The word 'prosperous' is translated as flourishing or luxuriant.  The king was lounging in the lap of luxury.

The word 'contented' is translated as 'at ease, at rest' which is a sense of contentment and security. 

In the homework it states that we can "picture a life that has finally discovered a means of security in which it can contentedly rest."  How can we find that life and achieve that security?  Simple - it can be found with God!

Psalm 62: 1-2  My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.   He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

The purpose of life is not a pursuit of prosperity, wealth or luxury.  True prosperity, and where we find true contentment is only with God.  When we seek a relationship with Him, we are achieving the true purpose of our lives!

No comments: