Sunday, March 20, 2011

Stepping Up: Week 5 - Day 4

Day 4 - Like a Weaned Child

Psalm 131
1 LORD, my heart is not proud; my eyes are not haughty. I don't concern myself with matters too great or awesome for me.

2 But I have stilled and quieted myself, just as a small child is quiet with its mother. Yes, like a small child is my soul within me.
3 O Israel, put your hope in the LORD— now and always.

When I first read verse 2 I had to re-read it because the noise level in here was so high I couldn't think straight.  Then when I did grasp what it was saying I laughed at what was certainly not true at that moment.  My small children are definitely not still or quiet!  But soon enough someone came running, crying with some major disaster - perhaps it was a boo-boo, or a stolen lollipop, or a needed turn on the swing.  I played the role of problem solver and comforter and the crying child was soon still and quiet, comforted in an embrace and ready to move on to the next battle.

A quote from the lesson "Tomorrow there will be more battles to fight, but for now the child lets down his guard, lets his parents be in charge, and surrenders every care in the world."  You are a child of God, seek His comforting embrace, let Him be in charge and surrender to Him.

No comments: