Monday, June 6, 2011

Bad Girls of the Bible


Bad Girls of the Bible
by Liz Curtis Higgs


The design of the book was interesting and in many cases enlightening.  I love to be able to better visualize situations in the Bible and this book helped to do that.  The author uses a women from the Bible and first retells the basic story in a fictional present day scenario.  These fictional stories were by far the best part of the book.  Each story was then followed with a detailed commentary of the actual Bible story.  

The stories were great and I did gain some new insight into the actual women in the related Bible story.  However, I found myself rather bored with the rest of the chapter.  I suppose I simply wanted to get to the next story!  However, near the end of the chapters was a "Lessons Learned" section that was very well done.
As for a Women's Bible study it could certainly be used in many ways. It would be interesting to have conversations related to the fictional stories and see if the group could come up with other scenarios.  The Lessons Learned and questions sections could also be used for some interesting topic starters. I did see that there is a workbook available and would probably use it if I were to lead a Bible study from this book.

Disclosure: WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group provided me with a complimentary copy of this book as part of their BloggingForBooks.org book review program.

No comments: