Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Stepping Up:Week 6 - Day 1

Day 1 - God Talks Back

Psalm 132: 11-18
11 The LORD swore an oath to David
with a promise he will never take back:
“I will place one of your descendants on your throne.
12 If your descendants obey the terms of my covenant
and the laws that I teach them,
then your royal line will continue forever and ever.”
13 For the LORD has chosen Jerusalem;
he has desired it for his home.
14 “This is my resting place forever,” he said.
“I will live here, for this is the home I desired.
15 I will bless this city and make it prosperous;
I will satisfy its poor with food.
16 I will clothe its priests with godliness;
its faithful servants will sing for joy.
17 Here I will increase the power of David;
my anointed one will be a light for my people.
18 I will clothe his enemies with shame,
but he will be a glorious king.”

This Psalm shows how God answers prayers but then goes so much further.  God granted the Psalmist plea that the king would not be rejected.  Then He added so much more to it
- his decesendant would sit on the throne forever
- the city would be abundantly blessed
- his enemies would be shamed
- the king will be glorious and a light for the people

Ephesians 3:20 Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.

We cannot begin to imagine what He can do.  If we think it and pray for it, He will come up with something better.  No matter what we think up and pray for, He can do it and much, much more.  Of course, He may not grant our requests, but it is important for us to realize that He can.  He is the maker of heaven and earth, so certainly He can do better than anything we can dream up!

No comments: