Monday, October 17, 2011

Made to Crave: Week 1 - Day 6

Week 1 - Day 6
Getting a Plan

In the previous post I talked about my plan - following weight watchers online, what I have cut out completely and what I can still have only if I have enough points left over. 

So what is the biggest difference between this plan and every other one I have come up with, tried and failed. That's easy - this time I believe that God is guiding me on this plan and through this journey.  I could say that it is so convenient that in today's homework there is a list of scriptures that fit perfectly with that point.  But it is not convenient, it is God, all of it. God worked through Lysa TerKeurst so she could write this book and God worked in our Bible study so that we did not do this study in April when we planned to, but instead put it off until He knew I was ready to understand that it is all Him! 

Can you see Him working in your life yet?  Maybe you are doing this study right now or are stuck in the rut of not being able to lose the weight, but still you are not feeling this same way - you are not excited to be on this journey yet.  Then get closer to God and you will.  Get closer to God by using your cravings as prompts to pray and also by memorizing scripture.  Here are some great verses about having a Godly plan that were in today's homework.

Proverbs 12:5 The plans of the godly are just; the advice of the wicked is treacherous.
On your weight loss journey, perhaps this 'advice of the wicked' is Satan tempting you with cravings.

Proverbs 15:22 Refuse good advice and watch your your plans fail; take good counsel and watch them succeed.
How many times have you failed at losing weight because you did it on your own?  The 'good counsel' is listening to God and asking Him to help you.

Proverbs 20:18 Plans succeed through good counsel; don't go to war without wise advice.
The weight loss journey is a type of war - a war with your sinful nature and human desires.  Arm yourself with the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Ephesians 6:17b

Proverbs 21:5 Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity, but hasty shortcuts lead to poverty.
Having a plan is good, but you need to put in the hard work to follow the plan and succeed.  Cutting corners and cheating on your plan or on your diet will cause you to fail.

Proverbs 16:3 Commit your actions to the LORD, and your plans will succeed.
This one I have added to my list of memory verses.  Interesting that it just reminded me of another one of my memory verses...

Joshua 1:8 Study this Book of the Law continually, meditate on it day and night
so you may be sure to obey all that is written in it.
Only then will you succeed.

The Bible tells me that the only way I can succeed is to commit my plan to God and to study the Word.

...and to end this first week here is how the homework ended today, from the participants guide pg 30
Wherever you find yourself this day, know that God meets you there. He loves your willingness to explore this tender area of your life and He wants to help you take every step that leads you closer to freedom, closer to empowerment and, most of all, closer to Him.

No comments: