Monday, November 7, 2011

Made to Crave: Week 4 - Day 1

Week 4- Day 1
Chapter 10 - This Isn't Fair!

I read this chapter just one day after having to beg my bible study sisters to pray for me (thanks ladies!).  As I have already written, one of the things I have cut out is chips- my favorite being salt & vinegar.  Well, I have been doing fine with that and have not really missed them too much - until yesterday. 

The case I am currently grading is about a snack foods company and one of the alternatives is to analyze whether or not to produce store brand chips.  Yep, just fantastic!  All I can think about is how yummy Food Lion brand salt & vinegar chips are and how badly I wanted a bag.  It got to the point that it was incredibly distracting and I could hardly work because all I could think about was those chips!  How ridiculous!!!  But in the moment it was a serious battle - between my desire to stay on track and my incredible craving for a bag chips.  Clearly Satan latched onto a big opportunity and threw a big ole temptation right into my face!  

Thank God for friends who are willing to pray you out of any situation!!!!  It was not long after I sent my frantic text message asking for prayer that I was able to put aside the temptation and get back to work.  It also helped immensely (thanks Helen) to be reminded that Eve gave into to the desires of her flesh and that I should stand firm on the Word and His promises, just like Jesus did in the desert!

So after all that, I come to this chapter of the book and read the following that hits so close today...
pg101 But in that moment of temptation, I realized having a pity party was a clue I was relying on my own strength, a strength that has failed me before and would fail me again.  I had to grab hold of God's strength and the only way to do that was to invite His power into this situation.

pg 103 Weakness is hard, but it doesn't have to mean defeat.  It is my opportunity to experience God's power firsthand.

2Corinthinans 7b-10 there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.

Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me.
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

No comments: