Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Genesis 8

Scripture
Genesis 8
Verses 21-22
21 And the Lord was pleased with the sacrifice and said to himself, "I will never again curse the earth, destroying all living things, even though people's thoughts and actions are bent toward evil from childhood. 22 As long as the earth remains, there will be springtime and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, day and night."

First Observation
After Noah and his family could leave the ark, the very first thing he did was build an alter and made sacrifices to the Lord. God then states that as long as the earth remains, he will never again curse the earth.

As long as the earth remains? At some point it is in God's plan to destroy the earth. Jesus will return and he will destroy the earth for good, putting an end to evil! God's plan of salvation ensures that those who are saved will be with Jesus when he does return.


Second Observation
This verse had so much to say to me today that I had to separate it into 2 observations! Verse 21 has God stating his promise to never again curse the earth. I remember hearing that in the Bible whenever God states a promise that there will always be a sign of this promise. The sign is the change of seasons and even the daily change between days and nights.

I wonder if there has ever been a study done about what people complain about the most? I would bet that it would be the weather!! I just got back from my vacation in Canada where they are having one of the coldest summers anyone can remember. Of course this means everyone seems to be complaining about it - including me!

Today I am reminded that God gave us springtime - this is my favorite season and I always enjoy seeing the leaves come out and all the new flowers blooming. Spring is the time to plant and we will be able to plant a garden next spring, I am very excited about that!

Today I am reminded that God gave us fall, or harvest. The last few days I was in Canada I saw many of the crops turn from green to golden, ripening for the harvest. God is providing a season of harvest, he provides our food - even all the food we get at the store!

Today I am reminded that God gave us cold and heat. Last week I was complaining that it was too cold. The just yesterday I was complaining it was too hot. Well, going from 60 degrees to 90 degrees with humidity is quite a change! However, I am reminded that each day is a blessing no matter what the weather is.

Today I am reminded that God gave us winter and summer. Our families are divided between mine in Canada and hubby's in Arizona - extreme winters and extreme summers. This gives us the perfect opportunity for summer vacations in Canada and winter vacations in Arizona! This also reminds me that there must be a purpose to why there are such extremes, we may not know why - just that it is part of God's creation. We should be grateful for weather and not complain.

Today I am reminded that God gave us day and night. How ofter have you complained about not having enough hours in a day, or not getting enough sleep at night? Perhaps we are trying to do too much of the wrong things in a day. Perhaps we are thinking about the wrong things and all the worrying keeps us awake.


Application
Instead of complaining about the weather, find something to be grateful for. Although I wasn't at that moment, today I am grateful that Sam woke up early and I decided to do this Bible study! When I do bible studies I have started to mark my Bible in various ways. I posted about that in detail in this post. So I mark my Bible with pink whenever I see a promise and these verses are colored pink.

Instead of complaining about how short the day is, spend more time with God. Spending more time with God will make you worry less and sleep better!

I am so grateful of God's plan of salvation and that I will be with Jesus when he does return. If you have not asked Jesus into your life, today is a new day and a perfect opportunity to accept the gift of salvation. After all, the world could literally come to an end tomorrow!


Prayer
Lord thank you for your amazing creation of seasons, weather, and even each day and night! Each of these are reminders to us of your glory. Thank you for your gift of salvation so that I am saved when Jesus returns to destroy the earth and the evil in it. I pray that you show me how to plan my days so that I can have more time to spend with you and for Bible study. I pray that you guide my words and guide those who need to hear them, so that you can work through me to bring salvation to many. In Jesus Name, Amen!

No comments: