Friday, August 28, 2009

Genesis 9

Scripture
Verses 11-13
11 I solemnly promise never to send another flood to kill all living creatures and destroy the earth." 12 And God said, "I am giving you a sign as evidence of my eternal covenant with you and all living creatures. 13 I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my permanent promise to you and to all the earth.



Observation
Earlier in this chapter in verse 6 is the biblical justification for capital punishment. Perhaps at a later date I will write about how the concept of the death penalty is supported by the bible. But not today, no today I had to write about the rainbow. I simply love rainbows and if possible I will look at one until it fades. It is very exciting to see a double rainbow like this one we saw from my parents house a couple years ago!

I thought wording of different translations was interesting. The KJV and NKJ versions both use the word covenant. The NLT uses the word permanent promise. When God makes a promise, it is permanent. He made the promise and He will stand by it - forever. Throughout the bible God makes many promises and covenants, they are all permanent and will stand forever!


Application
A rainbow is a sign, a reminder of God's promise to never again flood the earth. When we see a rainbow we should reflect on what it means for God to make permanent promises to us. How glorious to see a rainbow and know it is from God, to know that He is in control!


Prayer
Lord, thank you for the beautiful rainbow. When we see one, please help us to remember its meaning and your promise. In Jesus name, Amen!

No comments: