Saturday, March 19, 2011

Stepping Up: Week 5 - Day 3

Day 3 - Things Too Great

Psalm 131
1 LORD, my heart is not proud; my eyes are not haughty. I don't concern myself with matters too great or awesome for me.

2 But I have stilled and quieted myself, just as a small child is quiet with its mother. Yes, like a small child is my soul within me.
3 O Israel, put your hope in the LORD— now and always.

Do we really understand what the word proud means? I looked up 'proud' i the dictionary and found that it has two meanings.  First, we can be proud of our children or the accomplishments of someone else and in this way 'proud' is an affectionate and justifiable pride concerning someone else. I don't believe this is the context of the word 'proud' in this psalm.
The second meaning is what the Bible refers to when it speaks of being proud or prideful.  Here are some meanings and synonyms:
- contended or self-satisfied
- overbearing, self-important, presumptuous
- implies sensitiveness, lofty self-respect, of jealous preservation of one's dignity
- a belief in one's superiority
- arrogant: insolent or overbearing behavior from an exaggerated belief in one's importance
- haughty: implies lofty reserve and confident, often disdainful assumption of superiority over others

YUCK! No wonder God hates pridefulness! 
- you are focused on yourself and others rather than on Him
- you place a higher importance of your superiority over others rather than on His superiority
- you are serving yourself and your own self-esteem rather than serving others

No comments: