Sunday, October 16, 2011

Made to Crave - Introduction

Diets don't work, or at least don't work for very long. If you need to lose weight you have probably tried all kinds of different things.  I personally have tried Weight Watchers meetings, seeing a nutritionist, Jenny Craig, following a diabetic menu when I had Gestational Diabetes, Weight Watchers online, and even had a Fast Food fast for awhile.  Guess what - the only thing that worked was that I was able to control my Gestational Diabetes simply by following the menu plan.  Other than that I have pretty much only gained weight since getting married and having kids. The only thing I have been losing is sleep and my mind.

Until a few weeks ago when I had someone pray over me to take my relationship with God to the next level, to step it up a few notches.  After that evening, I noticed a couple things changed immediately - memory verses became easier to memorize and I suddenly found my "want to" when it came to setting my mind to losing weight.  I rejoined Weight Watchers Online and instead of sighing with utter complaint about making changes, I now have determination and a sense of perseverance, one that feels like it can see me through this long road.  This time I am focusing on and setting smaller goals and most importantly praising God for every single pound I drop.  It may sound like small changes, but I encourage you to give it to God. Let Him guide you through and only then will you succeed.

So all of this started happening about a week before my Bible study group started the study Made to Crave.  As I began to read the Introduction I was amazed because the premise of the study is essentially the same as what I have just described.  I will try to blog through this study (and pray that my blogging can catch on to some of that determination and perseverance!) and see where it takes me. 

I have to give all the credit first to God because with Him all things are possible.  Secondly, much of what I will be writing about will be coming directly from the Made to Crave study written by Lysa TerKeurst.  I don't claim to be a writer, I am only processing what I am reading and learning into some notes on this little blog.  If it helps you then praise God, because that is where the praise belongs!  So let's get started...

Made To Crave - Introduction

Here are some key quotes (typed in italics) from the Introduction of the book that really jumped out at me.  If I was a writer, I probably could have written them myself because that is how closely they hit home!

pg 11 - It's not the "how to" I'm missing. It's the "want to" ...really wanting to make changes and deciding that the results of those changes are worth the sacrifice.
I know "how to" lose weight, simply eat right and exercise.  Not much more to it than that!  So rather than being lazy about making the changes, now I am focusing on the results.

pg 13 I think we all get to a place sometimes in our lives when we have to give a brutally honest answer to the question, "How am I doing?"
Obviously if I was okay with my weight I wouldn't be doing this study or joining Weight Watchers AGAIN!  Let's leave it that shall we...

pg14 We feel overweight physically but underweight spiritually. Tying these two things together is the first step on one of the most significant journeys you'll ever take with God.

pg16 I had to ask God to give me the desire to be healthy.
I did, and He has.  Praise God!  I pray that you will ask God the same thing so that you can also begin to get healthy, both physically and spiritually.

No comments: