Monday, October 24, 2011

Made to Crave: Week 2 - Day 6

Week 2 - Day 6
This journey is jam packed full of sacrifices (ah man, now I want a PB&J sandwich)...and now I am so distracted that I can't remember what my point was going to be...

oh yes, the journey to getting closer to God is all about self-sacrifice.  And on this particular leg (ugg now I want a chicken leg - just kidding, I never really want chicken!) of the journey the sacrifices are making better food choices and denying yourself certain things that are not in the plan to getting healthy.  Thinking about that made this verse comparison jump up off the page with a big flashing neon sign.  Here is the key to getting through the perceived suffering of denying yourself with things not on the plan.

First read this familiar verse in NIV
Luke 9:23-25 (NIV) Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?

Now read it again but from The Message translation (a little side note...I just noticed that the standard abbreviation for the Message is 'MSG'. I have never paid much attention to this translation, thinking it was generally not that good (just like I avoid msg because it gives me headaches) but sometimes msg adds flavor! anyone craving chinese food about now?  sorry! ok I am done with the food analogies now):
Luke 9:23-25 (MSG)
Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You're not in the driver's seat - I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how.  Self-help is no help at all.  Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self.

No comments: