Sunday, January 2, 2011

Proverbs 31:21

Proverbs 31: 21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.

Most of the translations I looked at used the term "scarlet".  The NLT used the term "warm clothes", but I wondered what was the importance of scarlet.  Well, according to the concordance the word occurs many times and after a very quick scan of the verses it seems to be a color of yarn or fabric associated with wealth and riches.  I have no idea why the NLT would change the term to warm, but it makes more sense to not be afraid of snow if you have warm clothes than if you simply had scarlet clothes.  Anyway, someday in my spare time I will do a more in depth study of that... 

I think that the point here is that no matter what the circumstances the Proverbs 31 women is prepared.  Here, her family is appropriately dressed for a cold winter. Just as in verse 15 she arises early and plans out the day.

haha maybe I should write the blog post after reading the entire lesson!  In the lesson we are told that scarlet "indicates warmth, quality, and cost". So there you go, the Proverbs 31 women is not only prepared but she is well prepared by providing top quality clothes for her family - clothes that she made herself from cloth she spun herself!   Fascinating isn't it!?  God provides so that we may be prepared!!!

We recently had a huge snowfall - over a foot of snow!  That is alot even for me!!!  I was prepared with my totes packed full of winter clothes for the kids - parkas, snowpants, boots, hats & mitts.  Maybe by next year I will add pants, boots, hats & mitts for myself!!!  And looking ahead I really should be more prepared for hurricane season...

But what if I am not prepared and a hurricane (or some other disaster) comes, what then?  Be afraid? of course not...

Psalms 46:1-2 God is our refuge and strength,  always ready to help in times of trouble. So we will not fear, even if earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea.

No comments: