Monday, January 24, 2011

Memory Monday - Psalm 23

I originally found Memory Monday with Joanne at The Simple Wife.  I had been away from blogging for quite sometime and when I got back into it one of the first blogs I checked in on was Joanne's.  That was the day after she suffered a major stroke. Please join in Memory Monday as a way to be blessed by hiding God's Word in your heart. And also join me in prayer for Joanne.

For my very first Memory Monday I attempted to memorize Psalm 23.  I have wonderful memories of my Grandma praying this when she tucked me in whenever I had a sleepover.  When I came back to Memory Monday last week I tried to recite it but had a couple spots that were not perfect and so Psalm 23 is what I have been working on this past week.  Typed from memory, corrections are noted...

Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes to me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me down in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for You are with me.
Your rod and your staff they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil, my cups runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


Well, not too bad - just a couple errors! 

In the first section, verses 1-3 describe the Lord as our shepherd.  When we obediently follow him we experience:
contentment - we have everything we need
safety - think of animals, if they are in a green pasture they will eat until they are full and then if they feel safe they will lie down. We are safe in the Lord's protection.
joy - imagine being thirsty and being led to a raging river, how frustating would that be to try to get a drink.  No, our Lord allows us to drink in the Word peacefully and be restored.

In the second section, we are assured of His presence.  No matter what we are facing we need not fear, He is guiding us through.

In the final section, the Lord is our host, providing the ultimate feast of goodness and mercy, protecting us from our enemies and bringing us into His house for eternity.

Psalm 23 is so rich and beautiful!

This week, my Memory Monday will be the Roman Road.  Not sure if I will make it through all the verses, but I am going to try...

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned; all fall short of God's glorious standard.

Romans 5:8 But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 10:9 For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Romans 10:13 For "Anyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

No comments: