Saturday, January 15, 2011

Proverbs 31:26

Proverbs 31:26 When she speaks her words are wise, and kindness is the rule when she gives instructions.

Here we learn about "the aim of her words", that when she speaks it is with wisdom and kindness.  Today's lesson had many scripture references and as I went through them I felt like I was getting a great big kick in the butt. And after the morning we had around here I needed to hear these!  Funny how the Holy Spirit can just pour on that conviction sometimes.  Here are some of the verses that hit me especially hard today...

Proverbs 10:14 Wise people treasure knowledge, but the babbling of a fool invites trouble.

Proverbs 17:28 Even fools are thought to be wise when they keep silent; when they keep their mouths shut, they seem intelligent.

Proverbs 15:1  A gentle answer turns away wrath, but harsh words stir up anger.

Proverbs 16: 24 Kind words are like honey--sweet to the soul and healthy for the body.

Ephesians 4:29 Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.

Ephesians 4:31-32 Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of malicious behavior. Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.

Titus 2:3 ...Instead, they should teach others what is good.

Titus 3:2 They must not speak evil of anyone, and they must avoid quarreling. Instead, they should be gentle and show true humility to everyone.


So if I take the key words from these verses as I can apply them to today, here is what I pulled from that...

Today as I was a babbling fool, I should have kept my big mouth shut.  Or instead of yelling at my kids I could have given them a gentle answer, because as soon as I yell at them they also turn into raging lunitics!  Ok, so instead of yelling I need to use kinder words, words that are sweet, good and helpful.  Rather than losing my temper I need to be kind and tenderhearted so that in return I am teaching my children what is good.  If I am gentle and show humility perhaps they will become more gentle as well and will also avoid fighting me and with each other.

Boy oh boy is this a tough one...easier said than done.  I may have to review this lesson every day, several times a day...

No comments: