Sunday, January 23, 2011

Proverbs 31:30

Proverbs 31:30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the LORD will be greatly praised.

Have you ever thought that having a fear of the Lord was to be afraid of Him?  It is one of those unfortunate English translations.  The word used here actually means to stand in awe of, be awed,  as well as to fear, reverence, honour, respect. 

So if we fear the Lord, we are in reverence.  Yeah, I had to look that up too... reverence is a feeling or attitude of deep respect tinged with awe.

What else can we learn about a fear of the Lord.  Best place to look of course is scripture...

Proverbs 1:7 Fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge.

Proverbs 8:13 All who fear the LORD will hate evil. That is why I hate pride, arrogance, corruption, and perverted speech.

Proverbs 9:10 Fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom. Knowledge of the Holy One results in understanding.

Proverbs 22:4 True humility and fear of the LORD lead to riches, honor, and long life.

Doing this lesson today adds to the message we had at church which was about the difference between knowing about God and knowing God.  Truly knowing God comes with having a relationship with Jesus Christ.  In developing and growing that relationship we gain knowledge and wisdom and learn to live in true humility.

If you claim to be a Christian and maybe even practice 'religion' but you do not know the joys and peace of a relationship with God, you can change and start to "know God". You can change all that by praying this prayer and believing it in your heart that you can come to know God through Jesus.

Jesus, I know I am a sinner, but I want to repent of my sins and turn to follow You.  I believe that You died for my sins and rose again victorious over the power of sin and death, and I want to accept you as my personal Savior.  Come into my life, Lord Jesus, and help me obey You from this day forward. 

It all begins with asking Jesus into your life. Now grow in knowledge and wisdom through the study of the Word of God. 

No comments: