Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sabbath

Sabbath by Dan B. Allender
It is difficult to decide how to review this book. Was is good or was it not that great? It is both…


The good part, no - the great part of this book is the subject. It covers a concept of the Sabbath that sadly has been lost in our culture. Observing the Sabbath is one of the Ten Commandments – and it is “the longest and most expansive of all ten”. As Christians we are not bound by the laws of the Old Testament, but are we to continue to observe the Ten Commandments? If we are, then we are to observe the Sabbath; just as we are not to lie, steal, or murder.

The author has a fascinating way of viewing the Sabbath. He says on page 4 of the book that “The Sabbath is an invitation to enter delight. The Sabbath, when experienced as God intended, is the best day of our lives.” The sounds delightful and I want that for both myself and my family.

However, that’s about where the book lost me. I found it hard to get through, it did not engage me and certainly did not keep my attention. Perhaps part of the problem was that I started to become annoyed with all the quotes from other authors and sources (the bibliography has 5 pages of references). It read more like an essay trying to convince me to view the Sabbath in this manner, but I was already convinced of the concept by page 4. I would have rather had more real life examples of how his family and others are successfully observing the Sabbath in this way. I could then take those ideas and apply them to the development of our family beginning to observe the Sabbath to experience that joy.

Disclosure: Thomas Nelson Publishers provided me with a complimentary copy of this book as part of their BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program.


I review for BookSneeze

1 comment:

Danielle Leigh said...

I found your blog review on booksneeze.com and wanted to comment. I just finished this book and posted the review yesterday and I was disappointed also! I wanted more real-life examples too. I wanted some explanation of how the Sabbath has been celebrated in the past. This book had a lot of words but not much information.