Monday, February 7, 2011

Memory Monday - Galatians 2:20



I have been working on Galatians 2:20 this past week.  I struggled with it at the beginning of the week, the wording just did not roll off my tongue easily.  But then I got my out my new spiral notebook
and wrote down Psalm 23 as my Jan 1 verse, 2Cor 5:17 as my Jan 15 verse, and Gal 2:20 as my Feb 1 verse.  It really is true how writing it out can help with remembering it.  It also helps to write it out with natural breaks, sort of like how you would say it.  Anyway, let's see if I got it...

Living the New Life - Christ the Center
Galatians 2:20
I myself no longer live
but Christ lives in me.
So I live my life in this earthly body
by trusting in the Son of God
who loved me and died gave himself for me!

Oops a couple minor problems.  Good thing I wrote them down in my cute little spiral so that I can take it with me on my walks.

Ok, so what does this verse mean?

I see it as not being alone.  Although I know I will have trials and I will struggle I am comforted with the knowledge that through it all Christ is with me.  When I am overwhelmed all I need to do is remember to put Christ at the center, to trust in Him.  When I do that I can walk through the trial with the peace He provides.

By the way, I did take my spiral with me on my walk this morning.  My walk almost didn't happen for a couple reasons and I was incredibly discouraged, but eventually I got going and the first thing I did was start from the beginning... (well the beginning of my memory verses that is)
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.  He makes me to lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside the still waters. 
...and suddenly I was able to take a deep breath and enjoy my walk, to enjoy the coolness of the morning, the beauty of the fog, the amazement of how sound carries differently in the fog, to enjoy the birds singing their morning songs...

I was suddenly at peace and the discouragements I had felt moments before were gone.  So for me, this is just one reason why memorizing scripture is so important.  However, I did find myself wishing I had more verses hidden in my heart!  Three verses are not alot when you are walking more than a mile.  I need more to repeat...

So on to the next verse from the Topical List of scriptures to memorize.  The Series is still Live the New Life, but now the Topic is Obedience to Christ

Romans 12:1 And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice - the kind he will accept. When you think of what he has done for you, is this too much to ask? (NLT)

uggg...I just know this is going to be one of those big ol' kicks in the butt.  Need at least a week to meditate on this one, that's for sure!




About Memory Monday
I originally found Memory Monday with Joanne at The Simple Wife.  The idea is to memorize a verse during the week and come back to her blog on Mondays to comment about it.  That's it, nothing fancy, just simply an encouragement and reminder to memorizing scripture for yourself.  Anyway, I had been away from blogging for quite sometime and when I got back into it one of the first blogs I checked in on was Joanne's.  That was the day after she suffered a major stroke. Please join in Memory Monday as a way to be blessed by hiding God's Word in your heart. And also join me in prayer for Joanne.

About Siesta Scripture Memory Team
This is another program to encourage us to memorize scripture and is hosted by Beth Moore over on her blog  Living Proof Ministries Blog.  This program is set up so that each person on the Siesta Scripture Memory Team will memorize two verses a month and post a comment on the LPM blog on the 1st and the 15th of the month.  If you do that all year you get to attend a Celebration next January!  I so want to do that, don't you?

No comments: