Sunday, February 20, 2011

Memory Monday - Romans 12:1


Memory Monday on Saturday?  OOPS!  Been a rough week with lots going on including a deadline hanging over my head and a ton of work that took most of my energy to make sure I met that deadline.  Anyway, that meant that I could not spend any time blogging and now I am playing the catch up game - again (seems to be the story of my bloggy life)! However, even though I was not blogging I was still working on my memory verses and have truly been enjoying my morning walks.   Pretty sure I got this one...

Romans 12:1  And so dear brothers and sisters,
I plead with you to give your bodies to God
Let them be a living and holy sacrifice,
the kind that He will accept.
When you think of all that what He has done for you, is this too much to ask?

A couple minor problems, not too bad...so what does it mean?

My first thought on this part "give your bodies to God" was about all the ways that people abuse their own bodies.  And in a way it does, certainly we all have issues - maybe with bad habits, or in my case not trying hard enough to lose the baby weight - and seeing as my kids are 5 and 4 it is about time to do something about that...But this is really about way more than that, it is about obedience to God. 

If we are going about our day and not thinking about God and praying to Him throughout the day, about all the little things then we are not living for Him, we are not a living sacrifice.  But if we are actively pursuing a growing relationship with Him, then we are sacrificing the things of this world - the things that we could allow in that abuse our bodies.  When we are getting to know God we are focused on Him and not on ourselves, that is the kind of sacrifice He will accept.   The more we get to know God, the more we want to sacrifice for Him. 

I have been bombarded lately with messages about the difference between "knowing about God" versus "truly knowing God and having a personal relationship with Him".  And discovering the truths behind this verse is one more step on my path to getting closer to God.




In the Stepping Up Bible study we are to start memorizing Psalm 121, so that has been my memory verse for this week. 

Psalm 121
1 I raise my eyes toward the mountains.  Where will my help come from?
2 My help comes from the LORD, the maker of heaven and earth.
3 He will not allow your foot to slip; your Protector will not slumber.
4 Indeed, the Protector of Israel does not slumber or sleep.
5 The LORD protects you; the LORD is a shelter right by your side.
6 The sun will not strike you by day, or the moon by night.
7 The LORD will protect you from all harm; He will protect your life.
8 The LORD will protect your coming and going both now and forever.






About Memory Monday
I originally found Memory Monday with Joanne at The Simple Wife.  The idea is to memorize a verse during the week and come back to her blog on Mondays to comment about it.  That's it, nothing fancy, just simply an encouragement and reminder to memorizing scripture for yourself.  Anyway, I had been away from blogging for quite sometime and when I got back into it one of the first blogs I checked in on was Joanne's.  That was the day after she suffered a major stroke. Please join in Memory Monday as a way to be blessed by hiding God's Word in your heart. And also join me in prayer for Joanne.

No comments: