Friday, February 19, 2021

GROW - Psalm 45

Go to God in prayer

Read Psalm 45

Observations

Clearly this is a love song, written for a wedding.  If you are married, think back to the hours leading up to your wedding.  What were you doing?  You were preparing, you were doing everything possible to look your best for your special day.  You were nervous, but filled with joy.  The day had finally arrived.

I once heard it said that you can find Jesus on every page of the Old Testament.  The church is the bride of Christ, this is a prophetic song written for the church.  Reread the Psalm as if it were you waiting in your chamber (verse 13) to meet your groom.  In what state of mind are you in while you are waiting for Christ to return?  Nervous, but filled with joy, you are preparing.

Although verse 8 is written in the context of the groom, it really gives us practical application while we wait.  

Psalm 45:7
You love what is right and hate what is wrong.
    Therefore God, your God, has anointed you,
    pouring out the oil of joy on you more than on anyone else.

Don't you want to be completely drenched in that "oil of joy"?!  I know that I am already "anointed" because I am a believer in Christ, but am I fully walking on the "paths of righteousness for His namesake" (Psalm 23)?  What can I be doing differently?  What changes do I need to make in my life or in my heart or in my ways of thinking?  What can I change right this very moment to have more "oil of joy"? 

Write the lesson

While we wait for Christ's return for the church - the bride of Christ, we should be preparing ourselves as a bride prepares for her wedding.  We should be making immediate changes in our lives that place more in the centre of the path of godly living.  

No comments: