Saturday, February 20, 2021

GROW -Psalm 46

Go to God in Prayer

Read - Psalm 46 

Observations

Let's jump right in and look at the first two verses...

Psalm 46: 1-2
God is our refuge and strength,
    always ready to help in times of trouble.
So we will not fear when earthquakes come
    and the mountains crumble into the sea.

Here we are given a promise and a response.  The promise is that God is always with us, He is our strength and the only one needed in times of trouble.  Our response to having faith that God is in control is that we do not need to fear.  We don't need to fear natural disasters or persecution or even personal attacks.  No matter what, God is in control so we need not fear.  

Of course that is often easier said than done.  We experience fear and we worry, some more than others.  And that is the point here.  I saw a quote years ago that sticks with me. 

If you are worrying, you are not praying.
If you are praying, you are not worrying.

Keep this close to your heart and I am positive that you too will have less fear because you are too busy praying!

This Psalm also contains one of my favorite verses.  

Psalm 46:10
“Be still, and know that I am God!
    I will be honored by every nation.
    I will be honored throughout the world.”
 

This is a direct command from God - to "Be still",  I have seen other versions use the phrases "Be Silent", "Calm Down" "Stop your fighting".   In my Mama paraphrase I might say "Knock it off!"  God is calling us to stop and slow down.  Chill out and calm yourself.  But why?  So that we can turn off the world and be open to what God is trying to tell us.  Simply that He is God.

Write the lesson

As we draw closer to God our faith increases and we get to know Him more and more.  We begin to understand what it means when He says "I am God!"  When we know that, then we simply have no fear, no matter what this world throws at us.   He is God, He is in control, and He has saved from this world.


No comments: